One of the earliest members and a past president of The Hundred Club has died. John J. King of Hartford passed away Aug. 15.
Mr. King joined The Hundred Club in 1967, shortly after it was founded by Anthony Ustjanauskas. At the close of the inaugural year, the club had 31 dues-paying members.
Immediately, Mr. King became involved in the club’s activities and in the fall of 1973 he was asked to serve as the club’s president the following year. Long after his presidency, Mr. King remained active as a past president with the privilege to vote at the meetings of the Board of Directors. Mr. King continued to serve on committees and chaired the Special Assistance Committee in recent years.
Born in Brooklyn, N. Y., Mr. King was educated in local schools. He earned a Bachelors Degree in Civil Engineering from Cooper Union in New York City and his Masters Degree in Civil Engineering from New York University.
In 1940 he enlisted in the U.S. Army Reserves, 77th Division in New York. He attained the rank of 2nd Lieutenant in 1941. During World War II he served with the 88th Infantry Division in Italy. He was wounded in action in 1944 and received the Purple Heart. That same year he was awarded the Silver Star for gallantry and the Distinguished Service Cross.
Following the end of the war, he returned to the 77th Division until 1958 when he transferred to the 76th Division in Connecticut. He held the rank of Brigadier General and was the assistant division commander when he retired in 1969.
Mr. King was employed by the George A. Fuller Co. of New York from 1946 to 1971. At the time of his retirement he was vice president. During his career in construction, Mr. King had the principal responsibility for several landmark projects in the Hartford area including the Cathedral of St. Joseph and the Hartford National Bank Building. From 1971 to 1978 he was vice president of Horn Construction.
Mr. King was a communicant at the Cathedral of St. Joseph, a member of the Hartford Club, Retired Officers Association, St. Vincent DePaul Society, National Society of Professional Engineers and the Newcomen Society.
In addition to his wife, the former Mary M. Curry of New York, Mr. King is survived by three sons, Robert, John, and Paul and their wives; several grandchildren and great grandchildren. He was predeceased by a daughter, Joan.
A Funeral Liturgy was celebrated in the Cathedral of St. Joseph Aug. 19. The burial with full military honors was in Mt. St. Benedict Cemetery, Bloomfield.